Skip to:

In The News

  • Manhattan Nanny Is Convicted in Murders of Two Children

    The New York Times

    The courtroom fell silent. The father of two children killed by their former nanny sat in the front row, beside a pair of alternate jurors who had been released before deliberations. They held hands. Tears streamed down their cheeks.

    And when a jury convicted the nanny, Yoselyn Ortega, of murder, rejecting her claim that she was too mentally ill to understand her actions or know they were wrong, the children’s father, Kevin Krim, hung his head, shook and rocked back and forth. A juror took off his glasses and wiped away tears.

  • Man Sentenced To 10 Years For Raping Sleeping Woman On UES

    Patch

    A man is facing 10 years in state prison for raping a woman while she slept over at a friend's house on the Upper East Side, the Manhattan District Attorney's office announced.

    George Fay, 23, was sentenced Tuesday to 10 years in prison and five years of supervised release, prosecutors said. Fay was convicted on charges of first-degree rape, criminal sexual act and sexual abuse in February, prosecutors said.

  • Gun Dealer Sentenced To 35 Years For Washington Heights Sales: DA

    Patch

    A man is facing more than 30 years in prison for trafficking weapons in Washington Heights, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance announced Monday.

    Abdul Davis, of New Jersey, was sentenced to 35 years in prison Monday, prosecutors said. Davis, 53, was found guilty in February on more than 100 counts of charges such as criminal firearms possession, criminal sale of a firearm and conspiracy, prosecutors said.

  • Iranian Charged in Sanctions Case as U.S. Steps Up Crackdown

    Bloomberg

    An Iranian businessman faces U.S. charges of evading economic sanctions on Iran by moving $115 million from Venezuela through the U.S., signifying that prosecutors are intensifying a crackdown on illicit attempts to transfer money through the American financial system.

    Ali Sadr Hashemi Nejad was arrested and charged on Monday. Sadr, whose family controls the Iranian conglomerate Stratus Group, illegally moved the money through the U.S. as part of a $476 million deal to build 7,000 housing units in Venezuela, U.S. prosecutors said.

  • Statement by New York City Police Commissioner James P. O’Neill and Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., in Response to New York Magazine Article

    The Manhattan District Attorney

    “The NYPD and Manhattan DA’s Office are fully committed partners in the investigation and prosecution of sexual assault. Survivors of sexual violence and all who stand with them should know that this account does not accurately represent the strong partnership between the NYPD and Manhattan DA Cy Vance’s Office, and our unparalleled track record of holding sexual predators from all backgrounds accountable in thousands of sex crimes cases that we have successfully brought together.

  • Sex trafficking survivors say even in #MeToo era they struggle to be heard

    New York Daily News

    Nikki Bell was 16 years old the first time she had sex for money. Her mother had recently died, she became addicted to drugs and alcohol, and soon thereafter, wound up in the arms of a pimp.

    For 10 years, she was paid to be sexually assaulted multiple times a day in an industry that normalizes and thrives on exploitation.

    “You are trying to survive at this point in your life, which is why most people enter into prostitution. Because they are at an economic disadvantage,” Bell, 37, told the Daily News.

    She disputes the notion that choices existed for people like her.

  • Towing Takedown

    Manhattan Times

    Their haul’s come to a halt.

    Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., Police Commissioner James O’Neill and New York City Department of Investigation (DOI) Commissioner Mark G. Peters announced the takedown of an expansive fraud scheme involving the city’s towing industry.

  • Manhattan District Attorney’s Office to Join “March For Our Lives” in Washington D.C.

    The Manhattan District Attorney

    Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr. today announced that members of the D.A.’s Office, together with survivors of gun violence from New York City, will travel to Washington, D.C., to join the “March For Our Lives” on March 24, 2018. Created after the fatal shooting of 17 students and teachers in Parkland, Florida, the March For Our Lives is inspired and led by young people to demand the timely passage of legislation to address gun violence, stop the epidemic of mass school shootings, and ensure that students can learn in safety.

  • Mom Who Killed Baby Boy Sentenced To 16 Years In Prison

    Patch

    A mother who pleaded guilty to killing her newborn son in 2013 is facing nearly 20 years in prison, according to reports.

    Tiona Rodriguez, 21, was sentence to 16 years in state prison Thursday, the New York Post first reported. Rodriguez pleaded guilty to a charge of first-degree manslaughter in January, admitting that her son was born alive before his death from asphyxiation.

  • Manhattan DA Announces Indictments for Alleged Unlawful Monopoly on City's Towing Industry

    NY1

    The Manhattan DA has announced a major takedown of an illegal enterprise that domintated the city's towing industry.

    Cyrus Vance says more than a dozen people and companies, including Tow-arrific Inc. in East Harlem, have been indicted and slapped with a slew of charges, including enterprise corruption, scheme to defraud and conspiracy.

Pages